Normandy Fine Arts
The Normandy Fine Arts department is one of the jewels of the school district, a distinguished program which has been recognized locally and nationally for its productions and the talents of students and staff.
The Normandy Fine Arts department is headed by Mr. Duane Martin Foster, District Coordinator and a Viking alum (Class of 1987). During his tenure with Normandy, the Fine Arts program has thrived and excelled under Mr. Foster, despite obstacles and because of the tenacity of the department's staff and students. Students in Normandy are able to experience the arts beginning in preschool with music and dramatic play. As they matriculate, students can participate in a variety of arts programs and offerings including drama/speech, piano, orchestra, choir, and band.
As a result of their performances and talents honed in Normandy, high school seniors have received scholarships to universities throughout the country to continue their education.
Some of the accolades students and staff have received include:
- Recipients of multiple grants including the Maritz Arts & Education Teacher Grants
- Participation in the Dance St. Louis Residency and Opera Theater of St. Louis Monsanto Artists-in-Training programs
- St. Louis High School Musical 2018 Heart of Theater Award
- Marching Band participation and recognition in the 2016 Liberty Bowl, grand re-opening of Gateway Arch, America's Birthday Parade (among others)
- Staff selected to participate in St. Louis Symphony EXTRA CREDIT performance at Powell Symphony Hall
The Normandy Communication department produced a video to highlight the district's Fine Arts program.